Sunday, March 23, 2014

23 mobile things #11

For this post, I looked at the elm4you.org website on my Iphone, as well as the library apps for Saint Paul, Ramsey County, and Hennepin County. These are a real time saver when helping patrons, especially if I'm away from the reference desk or the internet goes down.

Elm4you.org looks almost the same whether on a mobile device or the desktop. In fact, I think the mobile version is easier to use. Once you click the research now, it gives you a list of mobile friendly databases that work nicely.

What I would use day to day, though, is the mobile apps from the 3 library systems named above. There are times when I am away from the desk or at home and want to know which library has which book or dvd. I can easily find that out and even request from the app.

What I would hope for is a Mnlink app that can be used for inter-library loans without having to be on a desktop computer. I would assume that the same rules apply, but it would make things easier for patrons to get the materials they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment